Please Sign Our Guest Book...

October 31, 2008

My First and Last Halloween

By Achilles Wong

Halloween is received in most countries with a buzz of excitement. Everyone loves to play dress up. Unlike in other countries, the celebration of Halloween in the Philippines is not as popular. As a largely Catholic/ Christian nation, Filipinos celebrate All Saint's Day (November 1) and they do so by visiting their departed loved ones.

This year, however, manang cannot go home to Bacolod City because there is no long weekend. Work is expected to resume on Monday and going home would take a huge toll on her given the length of travel. Woofy for us then!

The day before Halloween, we had a serious talk and I asked her if all the talks on costumes, pumpkins and free treats are really inherent in Halloween. With a forced nod, manang assured me that even if other people will not celebrate Halloween with us, The Ilonggo House will try to make our Halloween somewhat special.

Now, the matter at hand... what to wear.. what to wear...


Poopie as the Emo Dog sans the black outfit and eyeliner

"But manang! Poopie doesn't look a wee bit scary!" I protested

She just coughed up an awkward smile and apologized for not making enough preparations for our costumes. More appropriately, she didn't make any preparations for Halloween on account of her busy schedule... buhuhu...

Rummaging through her belongings, she found a neat, shiny blue scarf and decided to experiment on some looks...


......... I should have kept my mouth shut when I had the chance.

... .........


Ummm... I look like I'm off to school in this outfit, manang...



Ummm.. Honestly, woman. You are getting the idea of Halloween all wrong!



I was supposed to look like Little.. er.. Big Blue Riding Hood.

I loved my basket of goodies, though.



I was going for something scary, not preppy.


I give up manang!
You are one clueless woof woman!!
My reputation is now marred.
How can I face other dogs, looking like a girly Labrador in a shiny blue scarf.
I am never celebrating Halloween again!
Just what is your impression of Halloween, anyway?


............................................................




Boooo!!!!

I am soooo humiliated right now... I'm not blogging anytime soon...


Happy Halloween Everypup!!

9 comments:

Huskee and Hershey said...

WAHAHA... I got a shock when I got to the last picture!! I bet your manang has some special treats that she's kept aside for you and Poopie. :)

Thank you Aki (and your manang and Poopie) for the kind words you had for my mom. ** Big hugs back to you**

Bobby said...

AH, you dont look scary not one bit. You look more like a gift. Mow the mop is scary with out trying.

Cocoa the Beagle said...

We don't really celebrate Halloween over here :-( But you do look great (instead of scary) with the outfit though! hehe! And we got a shock coming to the last pic! BOL!!

Thank you for your kind compliments over at our Bark box! I had a sore mouth now but I'm happy! Wanna know why? Come over and see what I posted!

Wags,
Cocoa and Barley

The Musketeers said...

Happy Howloween !
Not to worry , you look fine in that costume I guess ? wow , your manang gave me a little SHOCK ! haha !
This year , I am just a soccer dog , but , mummy promise , next year she will be the one dressing me up (: hehe

Love & Hugs ,
Three Musketeers

The Musketeers said...

Haha , its Lady ! haha . she is fierce towards me only ! BOO !
Oh , not to worry , you won't be in trouble , its fine if you ask from people , but we will be waiting for the list ! :D
Yeap unfair ! they get so much of sleep & we don't !

Have a fun fill weekend ! :D


Love & Hugs ,
Three Musketeers

Thor and Jack said...

I was shocked when I saw your last picture, man! I hope you got lots of treats, at least!

Happy Halloween!

Love and licks
Thor

Cocoa the Beagle said...

Oh yes that was a vanilla flavoured nyla bone. U're right Aki, I should put up that begging handsome look more! That's definitely better and easier than getting a sore mouth for a teeny weeny 2mm x 2mm piece of food stuck in the teeth!

Wags,
Cocoa and Barley

Molly the Airedale said...

We loved all of your halloween costumes, Aki! It's all in good fun!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Lorenza said...

Hi, Aki!
Don't feel embarrassed! All the costumes are silly!
Here we don't celebrate halloween either.
Take care
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza